Monday, June 20, 2011

Electrocuted

I am in los Cabos! It's been a pretty crazy day. But I'm going to start this story a little further back.

In Angostura, our stove tried to kill me. I was electrocuted through an egg, and then a fork, and then through a piece of ham. The cursed electricity knows all my weaknesses!

My final week in Angostura was really great. The area really is a place were we are building the church as missionaries. I went on a division with Elder Blanchard for a day, and we spent most of the time discussing the best ways to help the church begin to grow in our relatively small areas. A lot of missionaries come and go, and the ward may not be strengthened when they leave. It might even be a little worse off. There are a lot of inactive members, the majority of whom were baptized, but weren't really prepared. Each time someone is baptized just so the missionaries can report a baptism, it weakens the branch.

My last day in Angostura, we had a branch conference. We worked to help a lot of less actives come out to attend the conference; I hope that Angostura was strengthened somewhat by my being there. Those less actives are a bit stronger. The members are a bit closer. If I'm in a small branch again, I'm really going to focus on helping everyone to gain responsibility within the branch and strengthening the members. For branch conference, President Cantù and his counselors came and spoke in the branch. I also directed another musical number put on by the Relief Society.

Elder Monroy gave me quite a bit of advice in our last compansionship inventory, when we discuss our relationship as a companionship and how we can improve it. Some of the advices he gave were: truly enjoy the mission, always be a friend to your companions, listen to the members just as you strive to listen to the investigators, and fight drowsiness. I learned a lot in Angostura. I almost feel like it was a bonus level with a cool power-up; we woke up at 5:30 every morning, and so now a 6:30 wake up time is nothing!

But this morning a left. And, miraculously, I ran into ALL of my old companions in Culiacàn. Elder Merrell, Elder Brassard and Elder Davis. Honestly, it was so cool. All of them are in the generation of missionaries who are leaving this transfer, so I won't be seeing them again for a while. That made it a real opportunity to see all three of them. I boarded a small plane, and landed in los Cabos. My first thought was, "Woah! White people!" I haven't seen a real gringo in six months, but there are lots here, speaking English and everything. So we'll see how it goes. I'm really excited to work here. I'm in the area San Jose 2A, which is in the city of San Jose. My companion is Elder Cerbera from Veracruz, Veracruz. He says that the area has a lot of hotels, and most of the people here are hotel workers. So things should be a whole lot different. Also, I'm in my first ward so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment